Wednesday, May 7, 2008

0123

It is amazing to know how lack of constant use leads to rusting. Be it in terms of a machine part or the brain cells. This morning I came across a dig at the English language in reference to Math. It said, "A triangle with one angle greater than 90deg is called an obscene triangle." I laughed out loud at the idea, but later wondered what exactly is it called? It beat the hell out of me throughout my train journey to recall the name of a triangle with one obtuse angle. The only source of comfort was, "I will Google it!".

Yesterday was the 6th of May. Exactly 7 years back on the same day I took my JEE. THE JEE, which changed everything in my life. But could I have dreamed that day, that there will be a time so soon when I will not be able to remember the simplest of concepts in Maths, the subject I have breathed day and night, the subject in which my whole family talks, the subject injected in my bloodstream.

Initially I used to be wary of using a calculator also, so as to not get over the dependence on my brain. That gradually sunk in in IIT, as the expanse of courses and their impossibility broached graver topics of concern. I still felt that I am better than a colleague of mine in grad school, who needed to use a calculator to multiply 3.749 with 1000 (I guess I do not need to divulge his nationality). Getting out of school, came the brunt of full time exposure to computers. There is no longer a need to use any brain cells for math calculations. Firstly because you no longer have to do any, and secondly, God forbid if you have to, there are silicon chips specially designed to take care of you. The unending power of Google, gives you all the required information about driving directions to English dictionary to astrology. If you just take a breather here and think, where is the world heading?

1 comment:

Vartika said...

:))
Obscene angle!!!
well, the world's definitely not heading backwards in times of Ramanujam et.al.